Sunday 19 October 2008

sep 10 - Maria

I arrived Friday evening with a stomach filled with butterflies. Was my visa okay? Had I filled all of the papers correctly? I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the airport which was very professional albeit a bit slow. When we finally got through the passport and visa control, Daniel and his chauffeur were there with a sign reading “Aske and Maria”. They followed us to a car and drove us to our guesthouse. It is about 20 dollars per night for a double bedroom (110 kr for the two of us) with cable TV and a separate bathroom with a bath tub, running water (warm and cold) and a normal toilet. I am very happy.

So far we’ve been to see Lucy (the ape-human) at the national museum, had a traditional Ethiopian dinner and been a tour around the city. It is completely dark by 19.00 and since there are no streetlights, the streets are lit only by the light of the small shops that fill the streets. When we drove home after eating Friday evening at around 11 in the evening (accompanied by Daniel and his friend), I was surprised to see a man with an AK47 (Aske says) guarding the hotel nearby. I don’t think I’ve ever really seen anything bigger than a gun on the streets before, so I think that was the first time that I realised that I’d left home and really come to a new place. It should be said that we’ve had no problems whatsoever, though. Everyone has been very nice to us, and even though people on the streets stare a bit, that’s all they do. I have to say that I feel very white and out of place from time to time, but I think I’ll get used to it with time. I am of course awful at bargaining and all of those things, but Daniel said that I was very good at eating with my hands (the traditional food where you use a flat bread to pick up the food), so I guess that’s a start. Oh, and no stomach problems so far, no mosquitoes and no big spiders either. That might change when we leave the big city, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Today we plan to go to the market which will be interesting and a bit scary for little scared me, but definitely an experience to be experienced. On Tuesday or Wednesday we drive to Jimma and I’m really looking forward to seeing the apartment, the city and to getting settled at a place that is my own (well, for 4.5 months at the least). I’ll try to keep you updated about what happens in the next few days. Take care everyone!

- Maria

No comments: